NCC Fine: FG confirms MTN’s N50bn payment, says negotiations continue

MTN Lagos HQ Building

MTN Lagos HQ Building, Ikoyi

The Federal Government on Thursday confirmed the payment of N50bn that MTN Nigeria made towards resolving its protracted dispute with the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) over a fine of N1.04tn.

This confirmation was made in a statement released by the Special Assistant to the Minister of Communications, Mr. Victor Oluwadamidare.

He said, “They have withdrawn the court case instituted against the Federal Government and the NCC and requested for further negotiations. This, the government, is willing to grant. You cannot stop listening to people.

“This clarification became necessary in view of the promise we made to keep Nigerians aware of what is happening as soon the information is available.”

The Nigerian regulators had fined MTN N1.04 trillion ($5.1 billion) for failing to deactivate 5.1 million unregistered SIM cards and later reduced the amount to N780 billion ($3.1 billion) after the first round of negotiations.

However, MTN filed a suit before the federal high court but later requested for an out-of-court settlement in a dramatic twist before finally withdrawing the case earlier in the week.

Leave a Reply